What is Worker Wednesdays?
Every last Wednesday of the month, workers and community allies gather virtually on zoom to mobilize and organize for worker justice in BC. Worker Wednesdays offers a space to find pathways to obtain worker-led demands and to take action for legislative change to ensure workers are protected.
We encourage everyone to participate in whatever way feels best to them, whether that’s camera on or off, being a listener, or using the chat to share their thoughts.
What happened last Worker Wednesday?
- March at WSN is a flurry of events and community building! We launched our WSN community discord, in addition to inviting attendees to the flurry of exciting events we planned for March! This included not one, not two, but THREE International Women’s Day events, our Procedural Fairness Workshop, and more! All events can be found on our website!
- Student are workers too! We’ve been working hard to connect the student struggle with labour justice. At past Worker Wednesdays, you heard from CUPE organizers working to unionize student workers at UBC, and the TSSU fighting for livable funding for grad students at SFU! At our February Worker Wednesday, we continued on this theme by inviting Kalli and Jacob with the Stamina of Working Students project at UBC, Kalli and Jacob presented resources they created focusing on the struggle student workers and volunteers face working while completing their degrees.
- Climate Justice is Labour Justice! We hosted our Climate-Labour coordinator Jen in sharing reflections on the coming 1 year anniversary of the climate-labour project, and next steps to take. In addition, we hosted Austen Adams – a worker who came to WSN via the climate-labour project, and through deepening involvement, ran for and joined the WSN board! We heard his journey of worker to board member and activist, a journey all WSN members can emulate!
- Justice Delayed is Justice Denied! Our February Worker Wednesday happened the week before the BC budget was announced, and such, it was our last push for our Justice Delayed is Justice Denied campaign – since successful in winning 12 MILLION dollars for worker rights in BC! We shared what this campaign has been all about with our new members, debriefed our recent actions, and invited attendees to take part in fighting for worker justice in BC!
- A Just Transition is Coming! We hosted Dylan Penner and Deborrah Dunne with the Council of Canadians, to speak on their Canada-wide Just Transition campaign to table Just Transition legislation in parliament! They shared where the campaign is at, next steps, and how to get involved! We know the climate crisis is here, we know a transition is coming, and we are here to ensure it’s one that enshrines the rights of all marginalized people at the heart of it!
If any of these pique your interest, do not hesitate to reach out to us to ask how to get involved! Come to this next Worker Wednesday to hear more of what we have been up to and find out how you can stand with workers across the province and fight for your collective rights!
Join us for Worker Wednesdays on March 29th, at 6pm PST!
Register for Zoom link here